You may have already heard or read about it. This year the rent will decrease for some tenants. This rent reduction only applies to tenants with a low income.
Who will receive the rent reduction?
Your rent will be reduced if you meet the following criteria:
- You live in a self-contained room or apartment as of 1 March 2023.
- Your base rent (so excluding service costs) on 1 July 2023 is more than € 575.03 per month.
- You live alone and have an income lower than € 23,250 a year (or you live together with at least 1 other person and have a shared income of € 30,270 a year).
Do I need to provide information on my income?
No, that will not be necessary. The Dutch Tax Office will inform us whether or not you are eligible for rent reduction. The Tax Office will not inform us of what you exactly earned in 2021.
When and by how much will the rent be reduced?
Should your rent decrease, this will go into effect on 1 July 2023. How much the rent will be reduced differs per person. We will lower the rent for all tenants who meet the abovementioned criteria to € 575.03 net monthly. Good to know: because of the reduction in your rent, your rent subsidy will decrease as well. This may result in you barely noticing the net impact of the rent reduction.
Note: to adjust your rent subsidy you will have to contact the Dutch Tax Office yourself. Do this on time to avoid having to pay back too much rent subsidy!
When will I be notified?
- In the case that the rent reduction does not apply to you, your rent will increase slightly on 1 July. You will be notified of this before May 1st.
- In the case the rent reduction does apply to you, you will be notified by us about the rent reduction before May 1st.
Do I need to do anything myself to receive this rent reduction?
If you had a low income in 2021 then you won’t have to do anything. You will be notified before May 1st about the rent reduction.
Did you not have a low income in 2021, but you do now? And were you notified by us before May 1st that your rent will increase, but you think you are eligible for the rent reduction? Then contact us at [email protected].
If your income is not known by the Dutch Tax Office, we do not know if you apply for this one-time rent reduction. You will receive a message from us to provide your income information if you believe you are eligible for a one-time rent reduction.
Do you have any questions?
For more information, go to